Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Josh Hamilton / Peter Gammons ...


In the wake of Josh Hamilton's most recent setback, Peter Gammons spoke to another former first-round draft pick whose career was almost wrecked by drug use ...
Jeff Allison got up Friday morning to get ready to go to work at a local baseball facility and coach kids. Then he read the headline about Josh Hamilton.
"It tore me apart," said Allison. "I know. I've been there."
Allison knows alright, and when he crawled through the wreckage of substance abuse to make the 2008 Florida State League All-Star Game, Hamilton called him the day after his historic Home Run Derby performance at Yankee Stadium to congratulate him.
--snip--
Allison got clean, with Loria's help. He addressed groups of Minor Leaguers. But once he hurt his elbow, the stuff never came back.
And now, at 27, he is 62 months clean, trying to find his balance and help kids stay away from his demons. Today, he cares about Hamilton, "Because if you haven't gone through this, you have no idea how it tears at you. Josh will make it through. He will succeed. He will be great. I say it from a different vantage point than many other people. I've been there. I know. And I know that in the end, Josh will win and continue to be a superstar. If I could help him as he helped me, I would, but he may not need anyone else, because he will make it."
Of course Allison can't know that. Not for sure. But that doesn't mean we can't hope he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment