Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tex: Not Happy W/ 1st Half ...


Of all the guys on the Yankees, Mark Teixeira probably needed the All-Star break more than anyone. Teixeira spent much of the first half coughing and hoarse because of inflamed bronchial airways.

"I wasn't happy with my first half at all," Teixeira said after the final first-half game in Boston on Sunday night. "I didn't feel like myself the whole first half. I talked with you guys about it in Tampa -- this break is going to be really good for me to get some rest and get rejuvenated for the second half."

After his typical slow start, Teixiera finished the first half at .250 with 15 homers and 50 RBIs. His OPS is .808, nearly 100 points below his career average (.899). Last year at the intermission, he was at .244, with 25 homers and 65 RBIs. His OPS was .871.

Teixeira thinks the whole team can play better.

"I don't think any of us would say we played our best baseball," Teixeira said. "Hopefully, there is better baseball to played. That being said you have to feel good about your position right now." 

No comments:

Post a Comment